The Waterway Ecosystem Research Group have entered into a formal partnership with Melbourne Water, the Melbourne Waterway Research-Practice Partnership, as a new approach to waterway management research in the Melbourne region. The partnership aims to provide both (i) applied research to underpin the improved management of both urban and rural waterways and (ii) activities that integrate these research findings and broader science into practice.
The activities of the partnership will fall into 6 integrated themes:
- Models of ecological responses to land use and management activities and prioritization systems
- Flow and water quality management techniques
- Catchment-scale management interventions
- Assessment of stream management activities under different catchment and climate constraints
- Effectiveness of community engagement
- Knowledge exchange
A list of partnership projects can be found on the partnership’s website.